Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cathedral Peak

Wow. Cathedral Peak has got to be the wilderness mecca for all us old school gothy types that liked to wear black and listen to depressing music back in the day. This peak, captured in the right light, could have easily been used on album covers for bands like....Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Church, or Echo and the Bunnymen. It's incredibly unique, and one of the most beautiful granite formations that I've ever seen.

Located in the high country of Yosemite National Park, this locale was the destination of a chilly hike that I took a couple of days ago. And when I say chilly....I mean freezing ass friggin' cold. But it was so, so worth it. The hike is 7-8 miles round trip and it leads you to some of the most amazing high elevation meadows and lakes that can be reached without extensive hiking/packing experience. If you find yourself in the Tuolumne Meadows area with a few hours on your hands, give it a go...you won't regret it. Check the wind gusts in the area though. I encountered 70mph freezing winds that could have been really dangerous had I not been prepared for them.

In spite of the challenging weather conditions, this is still my favorite time of year to explore the high Sierra's. No crowds, and the fauna and flora are busy getting ready for the long harsh winter ahead. The energy up there is unbelievable and it resonates completely in the power of this immense wilderness that heals, inspires, and challenges me....and the peace that comes from the energy that I am able to give it in return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya,

Hadn't checked on your blog in a while and was glad to see that you're posting! Will have to check back more frequently.

M

JohnJayJay said...

Just needed to comment on the fact you're the first woman I've known of in some time to even know who The Church even are. Saw them last year in San Fran. Still awesome. Still a geeky fan.

Idol-girl said...

There are a few of us girls out here that know of The Church. But I know what you mean, I always excitedly smile when I come across someone that still listens to them, and EATB, and Jesus/Mary Chain, and Peter Murphy/Bauhaus...I could go on and on...