Sunday, November 04, 2007

Adventures in the Woods

When was the last time you had a real adventure? Let me assure you, they are as good for the soul as anything. I long for those experiences of my youth, when I would come across something for the first time and my imagination would just run wild with ideas and wonder. I still have an overly active imagination and I build all kinds of wonderous ideas into my little fantasy world, but, real-life adventures that make me feel like a kid again - priceless, and totally awesome.
So, Redwood and I went on a dirt bike ride. We were looking for an old logging train trestle that he knew about. You never know what you are going to find out in the woods. Especially the woods of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I am partial, I know...but the area in and around the Sierra Nevada's is one of the most amazing places on this earth. And today, for us, they served as our adventure land as we rode on over 50 miles of trail, and hiked the crippled rail bed in hopes that the trestle would be there. We laughed alot, speculated on how people must have survived out there over 100 years ago, and even came close to pissing our pants with what we believed was a mountain lion sighting. Let me just say....those cats are stealthy. We saw it move, but never heard it. That's when my attention shifted toward finding the biggest friggin' stick I could carry.
Anyway, we eventually made it to the Trestle , and it was beautiful. Rugged and surly...much like it's origin, much like the history of those mountains. We wanted to cross it, but the beams were too compromised to take the chance. And motorcycle boots are not exactly conducive to free leg movement and the possible need for agile footwork should shit start to crumble. We had such a great day. One that will stay with me forever, as it's not everyday you can sit on a rock with your brother, in the presence of an old train trestle, and feel like a kid again.

No comments: