Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Giving Thanks 2007

Ok, I've come up with my list of things to be thankful for this year. But before I get to that, I want to present some turkey fun facts in hopes that, come Thanksgiving Day, you will more greatly appreciate the dead body at the center of your dining room table. Here we go. Benjamin Franklin proposed that the Turkey (not the Bald Eagle) be the official bird of the United States. Wild Turkeys can run up to 20 miles per hour, and they lived almost 10 million years ago. Turkeys heads change color when they become excited - oh, and they can see in color. The costume that Big Bird wears on Sesame Street is rumored to be made from turkey feathers, and like Big Bird, commercially raised turkeys can't fly either. Gobbling turkeys can be heard from a mile away, and lastly...the fleshy growth under a turkey's throat is called a wattle. There you go. And before I forget to mention it...pigs, cows, chickens, sheep, game hens, deer, elk, boar, rabbits, bears and frogs are all really, really cool too. Ok, ok...I'm putting the soap box away...on to my 26 reasons to be thankful on this Thanksgiving holiday...remember, these aren't in any particular order (oh, and all 26 reasons from last year, still apply):

1. Lola. There aren't words - I just miss you.
2. The rain.
3. The Police. Best concert experience of the year for me.
4. My parents.
5. V8. Tasty drink...give it a go, you'll like it.
6. Pomegranates. Nothing like working for it.
7. Hwy 108/Sonora Pass.
8. Naps and bubble baths.
9. The Rain Song.
10. San Francisco.
11. Tears.
12. Barefoot walks in the park.
13. Moments of truth.
14. The health and happiness of all the people that I love.
15. Clarity. However brief.
16. A secret crush.
17. My friends. I couldn't make it without you.
18. Black and Tans. mmmm, sounds good right now!
19. Laffy Taffy, Lik-em aid, and marshmallow creme in the jar.
20. A starry night in the mountains.
21. Getting carded the day after my thirty-------birthday.
22. Kindness.
23. Imagination.
24. Words.
25. Strings, picks, amps and distortion.
26. Hands. But, only the sexy ones - that's what I'm talking about!

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. I hope this holiday season finds you at peace....lord knows the world could use all of the help it can get in that area. And if you are one of the lucky people who end up with the wish bone...make a really good one for me!

4 comments:

durasoul said...

I love that you do this. A good ritual. (Why 26, btw?) What would mine be? Hmm...
1. Friends that get me and love me, despite of/because of my oddities and quirks. Friends that I get and love, despite of/because of their oddities and quirks.
2. My family and my guy.
3. Music. SO grateful for music.
4. For that matter, art.
5. Being able to go back to school.
6. Raspberries fresh off the vine.
7. Bitsy fur.
8. Tiger Beast and all his boundless, unconditional love. (He, meanwhile, is grateful for plastic bags to lick.)
9. My teddy bear that my mother made for me before I was even born. I still sleep with him sometimes.
10. Footy pajamas in adult sizes.
11. Moisturizer.
12. The internet, and being able to access a million different news sources and amazing people I might never have found otherwise.
13. Good health, and/or good luck, considering I am (and most of my friends are also) amongst those millions of Americans currently living without any kind of health insurance.
14. Opera.
15. Tea.
16. Hair products made for curly hair.
17. Candles.
18. The writings of Bertrand Russell.
19. Podcasts.
20. Poetry.
21. Probiotics and their seemingly magical ability to help me digest lactose and gluten.
22. Bread, cheese, beer and wine.
23. Birkenstocks.
24. Sarcasm.
25. Jon Stewart.
26. Mornings on the Pacific coast.

Idol-girl said...

Because 26 is my favorite number. Great list...thanks for sharing. Do you wear Birkenstocks and footy pajamas at the same time?

durasoul said...

I actually have worn them together, several times in fact. The last time was when we went down to the bars on Halloween. No telling what's on those floors, and I certainly don't want it on my PJ's, I sleep in these suckers!

JohnJayJay said...

Saw the Police in LA in 2007. Stewart Copeland is a god. 'Nuff said.