Sunday, August 10, 2008

Guitar Pick

So, I've been learning to play the guitar. Under the patient and supportive tutelage of my master, I have finally made it to a place where I consider myself a guitar player. It has been an exercise in patience of the highest degree...and it has humbled me in ways that I did not know were possible. There were many, oh so many times that I questioned why I was continuing to practice something that I am clearly not good at, and in those moments of doubt a theory began to form in my little brain. A theory that would eventually allow me to let it all go and just accept my inadequacies. I realized that I couldn't help the fact that I sucked at guitar, I realized that in order to be great at it...I needed a penis.
There is a reason that all of the great guitar players are men. Women can be good guitar players, but great...none really come to mind. And it's not because women are not capable of being great musicians, it's simply because the guitar was built for a man. It seduces men. Just look at it's womanly shape. All curvy in the places that you hold closest to you...and that not-so-subtle tease of the flying V, with those legs going in opposite directions...no wonder boys pick up the guitar when they are 13 and lock themselves in their basements with it. And if you look at the neck of the guitar as simply a phallic extension of men's bodies, well...genius has no choice but to emerge. Further illustrating my point is the fact that many of the guitar greats were shy, introverted, geeky guys that weren't hanging out with girls after school. I mean, how many jocks and Abercrombie models do you see rockin' the guitar? Guys that are getting the real thing, don't need to put all of that suppressed energy into an instrument. Just think about it, how many sexually repressed guys do you know right now, who spend way too much time playing Rock Band and shredding that fake plastic guitar?
I think I'm on to something here. It certainly explains why after 4 years of lessons, I can barely call myself a guitar player. And come on girls, why do we think guitar players are so hot? I think we are subliminally reacting to the intimate observation of a man very, very into his lady. So, for those of you who might be pickin' up what I'm putting down...especially the boys out there, here's a little girl-on-girl action to perk up your day.

6 comments:

durasoul said...

I love you, J. And we are going to examine this theory very closely in about a month.

Idol-girl said...

I also love you. Yes, can't wait for TR and NIN...should make for a stimulating couple of hours.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture. It is now a quest for me to find "quality" female guitar players for you to hear. Off the top of my head there is Nancy Wilson. Just listen to intro to "crazy on you" or the Wilson's cover of "battle of evermore". Awesome...And what about Courtney Love...LOL...I crack myself up.

Idol-girl said...

I'll agree on Nancy Wilson. Although she is a freak of nature because she played like that with really, really long fingernails. You crack me up too! It's nice to see you six-string samurai...it's been awhile :)

JohnJayJay said...

This was a very clever post...and kinda deep actually. You may have a point. Then again, maybe you do need a penis to be a great guitar player....but not because of the Mars-Venus relationship you mention...but because possession of a dangler allows you to envelope yourself in a thick, hot, creamy (still playing with innuendo here) layer of self delusion, that once in a while develops into greatness. For every great male guitarist, there's scores of men who are deluded into believing they're great guitarists.

Oh, and by the way, Lush was an awesome guitar oriented alt band whose guitar duties were handled exclusively by two women (Miki and Emma...had a crush on both in college). I'm still inspired by their chorus drenched guitar tones to this day!

Idol-girl said...

Love the word dangler. I'm laughing like Beavis and Butthead right now :) Deep, indeed.