Friday, June 01, 2007

Single Girl

Ok, so I drank the kool aid. I didn't really have a choice. They started feeding it to me long before I knew what it was. My whole life I sucked down that sweet concoction made up of the idea that my purpose in life was to find a person to marry. That everyone's purpose in life is to search for a mate, and that only through such a discovery could one experience the reward of true happiness and satisfaction. What bullshit.

Don't get me wrong....people can be beautiful together. I've seen love, I believe in it. And I've seen relationships that are amazing and that foster true happiness and satisfaction. Sadly, I don't see them often...but I know that they exist. And that knowledge is what keeps me single. I see no reason to be in a relationship that is less than that. So, when people ask me why I'm single....I impart this "wisdom" and then watch as they mull it over. Then, slowly but surely, the vast majority of them will reach for that kool aid and take another comforting sip of what assures them that they are on the right path in their own life. And then I get the look. The look that says, ya right....you would be married in a hot second if you had the chance. Guess again. I've been down that road, and what I know for sure is that until my guy is the absolute right guy....I'm riding solo.

And how about that absolute right guy? Some say I'm too picky, that he doesn't exist. But I've seen him too, so I know that he does. I've actually known two of them, which encourages me even more. If there are two that I know of, then somewhere in the dark corners of the world, more are hiding. And the last thing I want to do is be in a relationship with the wrong person, when the right one comes along.

So, for the people who ask me why, and for those who want to set me up with their single friends and family, and also for those who look at me with concern in their eyes......please don't. This girl is just fine right where she is at. She has embarked on a new adventure, and to the extent that she can be, given all of her compexities....she is happy too.

1 comment:

sarah said...

tough crowd? I can completely relate with you girl. I really think it is best to stick to your guns for what a girl really wants much less deserves - so many of my friends get tied up with mediocre relationships only to potentially miss substantial ones and get emotionally rocked in the meantime.
I'm with you - there is no such thing as too picky...it has to fit - S