Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pop Rocks

What the hell did they do to Pop Rocks? It has been years, lots of years since I last had them. And let me tell you....they took the pop and the rock out of that action. It would appear that they too have been altered from their pure, perfect state to be more user friendly and "safe" for all. I could not be more disappointed. Yet another example of how our current culture has stripped the edgy rawness out of something powerful, and left us with a watered down, mediocre, easy-to-swallow version. And yes, they were powerful.....very powerful.

It was the experience of eating these candies that first introduced me to the eroticism of mixing a bit of pain with my pleasure. Oh, and the danger!! All those urban myths about people blinding themselves by putting Pop Rocks in their eyes, or kids dying from eating them and drinking Coke at the same time. Who could resist them? Simply put....for me and my prepubescent third grade class, Pop Rocks were sex. We didn't know it at the time, but for some of us, we were laying the ground work for what would become a healthy appetite for all things that....hurt so good.

How did you eat them? Did you put them on your tongue...one at a time? Did you bite down gently, exploding the rock between your teeth? Or did you pour the whole package in your mouth at once, and just let the shrapnel fly? Did that unique combination of caution and intrigue awaken something inside of you? Maybe you've never thought about it....but I have. And Pop Rocks were definitely the S&M candy of my youth. If you loved them, and you aren't embracing your inner sub/dom.....what are you waiting for? Let your freak flag fly, my friend.

No comments: