Saturday, June 17, 2006

Little Worms

I saved a worm today. An earthworm to be exact. I feel fuzzy all over. Basically, any fuzzy feeling inducing activites rank pretty high on the "do as many times as possible" list. I've helped hundreds of these blind and deaf creatures find their way from the inevitable concrete bake fest, back to the safety of the grass and soil. It's amazing how a single little worm writhing in the sun can inspire me to think outside of my own head. This is no small feat. But, somehow earthworms get to me every time.
So, you are probably saying to yourself, "it's just a worm, big deal - and this girl might be a little wacked." Well, you are right. It is just a worm, and in the grand scheme of things....not a real big deal. You are probably right about the wacked part too. But, here's the thing-it's easy to care about the big stuff. The big, important stuff that obviously matters. The little things are where everything that matters is manifested. I find it inspiring when I see people acting on what little things matter to them. I like to see people celebrating the little things about the people they love. I love to see people recognizing how important the little things are. I trust the little things, almost without question.
The little things are what makes us unique and in my case...a little wacked. But who says wacked is bad? Today I was important to an earthworm. I gotta say, I've had worse days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about trusting the little things and watching for them - life is in the details :-).