Wednesday, January 02, 2008

T.M.V on New Year's Eve

Guitar players are hot, we all know that. But let me just tell you, left-handed guitar players redefine the meaning of hot...even when you look like a Muppet. I saw The Mars Volta on New Year's Eve in San Francisco, and they were incredible. They did an acoustic set that made me cry, it was so beautiful. And when they came back to "electrify" us, it was so friggin' loud that my hair and clothing were vibrating. And yes, that could have been interesting...but I was more preoccupied with preserving what little hearing I have left. It was way, way too loud. These guys have an energy that I haven't seen in a long time. They are total freaks that shimmy around on stage like two little hairy bookends - and I love them. If you don't know who The Mars Volta are, please go out and educate yourself. Even if you hate the sound, listen anyway, because they are doing something so different than anything else out there. And that in itself is worth a minute of your time.

Happy New Year, y'all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hairy Bookends? You make me laugh outloud. where do you come up with this stuff?

Anonymous said...

Harry Bookends is my new stage name! I'm glad the concert was all it could be. Were the freak flags flying? I've had my share of loud shows, it can be a bittersweet experience. I do agree that everyone should give The Mars Volta a try, they are a breath of fresh air in a music industry that smells like gym class.

Idol-girl said...

Harry Bookends indeed! That would be incredibly hot - I'm glad I was able to provide that bit of inspiration. Yes, the freak flags were flyin'...I wish you would have been there.

PS What in life isn't bittersweet? I think you gave me a new topic to write about...thank you S.S.S.

Anonymous said...

My ears are still ringing and it's been almost 4 months!

Lizabeast